A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , » Barry Kay - As a Woman

Barry Kay - As a Woman

Full title: "As a Woman" by Barry Kay.

"As a Woman" is a collection of 17 photos taken between 1974-1975 by Barry Kay that were featured in his photographic essay book, As a Woman (1976). These photographs are one of the multiple collections from the Transas City website. The book features photographs of crossdressers and transsexuals living in Sydney, Australia, detailing the everyday lives of those depicted.

From Barry Kay’s preface to the book: "During many return visits to Australia over the past fifteen years, I have seen the steady emergence of male transvestisism in Sydney and also the establishment of its large transsexual community. My interest in the phenomenon has grown as each time I became more conscious of the wide disparity that lies between this sub-culture and the society from which it springs. As a result, I began the series of portraits that are now contained in this book."

"I have aimed to depict the widest cross section possible – to show those living within a self-styled community or on the fringe of it and those choosing a more secluded existence. By its nature, the subject seems to defy clear definitions and to attempt to do so inevitably leads to generalisations. What can appear to the observer as a committed way of life, may only represent a phase of transition. There are many ambiguities and uncertainties within each personal situation and only one link seems common to all – the need to appear or to dress as the opposite sex. I have therefore purposefully avoided classification and for this reason the book is not divided into sections.

Sydney is Australia’s largest international city and its least conservative one, where many seek a more permissive climate. The city’s busy cosmopolitan tourist area, Kings Cross, is both the centre of entertainment and the adopted focal point for the transsexual community which comes from all parts of Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. Here, many have found a livelihood by working in entertainment, particularly with the all-male revues for which Kings Cross and its environs are renowned."

Available via barry-kay-archive
and Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book