A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , » Christine Burns - Pressing Matters (Vol 2)

Christine Burns - Pressing Matters (Vol 2)

"Press for Change (founded in 1992) was a hugely successful campaign for the civil rights of transgender people in the UK — achieving in the first 12 years a string of legislative successes that included protection against discrimination in employment, the right to NHS treatment and ultimately the process for full legal recognition of transsexual people in their acquired gender in 2004.

These are the memoirs of Christine Burns MBE, one of the leading figures in that campaign until 2007. In this second volume Christine describes how Press for Change moved up a gear and challenged Britain’s Labour Government, starting in 1998. She describes how employment protections and the right for trans people to be treated on the NHS were won — culminating in the successful passage of the Gender Recognition Act."

In 2014, I talked with Christine about the book and this is what she told me: "“Pressing Matters” is a history of trans activism in the United Kingdom. It is a history that I was initially reluctant to write, as I wasn’t sure whether I was the right person to write such a thing. I was very close to the action during a phenomenal period of advancement in trans rights around the world. As such, I thought I might have been too close to tell such an important story. My ideal scenario is that such a history ought to be written by others - with the perspective that comes from both physical distance and the passage of time.

However, in spite of efforts to encourage that over the last few years I could see that such a history wasn’t going to get written unless someone took the first step. At the same time, I think such a history is absolutely crucial - especially as a majority of those leading on trans activism in the UK now are quite young and would not otherwise understand how the circumstances they find themselves in came about."


Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book