A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , » Tilly Bridges - Begin Transmission

Tilly Bridges - Begin Transmission

Full title: "Begin Transmission: The Trans Allegories of The Matrix" by Tilly Bridges.

"Trans woman and screenwriter Tilly Bridges takes you through the trans allegories of the Matrix franchise, with deep dives into The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Animatrix, The Matrix Revolutions, and The Matrix Resurrections, tracking one person’s transition journey - from Thomas Anderson, to Neo... to Trinity. Each movie’s allegory is deeply layered, building from movie to movie, and speaks to a different aspect of trans existence.

You’ll learn how color is used to convey more than you realize, how Neo’s psyche is personified in the people around him, how no other mass media franchise speaks as truly, deeply, and honestly to the trans experience, and exactly why these movies are beloved and vital to the trans community (and their cis allies). Free your mind, and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes."

Tilly Bridges is an American writer of teleplays, comics, screenplays, and a pioneer of audio dramas. Along with her wife and creative partner, Susan Bridges, they are a married trans woman/cis woman writing team in Hollywood and their works include head writing for the 2021 Hugo Awards, 2023 Nebula Awards, writing for the new Monster High animated series, more than half a dozen comic anthologies, their unscripted podcast Tilly’s Trans Tuesdays and the Star Trek Adventures and Fallout role-playing games. She is the author of “Begin Transmission: The Trans Allegories of the Matrix” (2023).

In 2024, I interviewed Tilly for my blog Heroines of My Life and asked about her transition: "I knew in transitioning that I would be giving up a massive amount of (perceived) privilege, as the world previously saw me as a cisgender heterosexual white man. Trans women pre-transition don’t fully experience male privilege the way cis men do, of course… we don’t conform to what cis men expect and we’re usually punished for it.

But I still knew that I’d no longer be able to walk into a room of strangers and be afforded the privilege that comes with everyone seeing you as a cishet white man. And yet I’m still incredibly white, and that privilege isn’t going away. And because I’ve lost so much less than many other trans people, I’m privileged in that way too. So I decided that if I was going to transition (which I very much needed to do), I was going to use my privilege to help people as best I could."

Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book