A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , » Alana Nicole Sholar - Hung in the Middle

Alana Nicole Sholar - Hung in the Middle

Full title: "Hung in the Middle: A Journey of Gender Discovery" by Alana Nicole Sholar

"In this engaging memoir, author Alana Nicole Sholar shares her bitter-sweet journey of being born a transgender individual in Kentucky in 1961...a time and a place where such feelings weren't talked about...and never admitted... EVER.

He lived and worked on some of Kentucky's now famous thoroughbred farms (and even trained to become a jockey) while hiding, and running from, the secret within. He struggled with his difference well into his mid-30's before he became aware there were others like him. Although the challenges may differ, 

Alana's story is a wonderfully uplifting and encouraging resource for anyone traveling their own journey of self-discovery - and we're all on the path of discovering 'self.'

Lead by fear of admitting his feelings, even to himself, Alan is a fast driving, hard drinking, pill popping guitar player with a sex addiction that leads to multiple partner encounters and the consequences. On the way to becoming Alana, with the first step being a legal name change in 2005, she imagines what it must be like to be with a man. When the opportunity presents itself she struggles with making a decision to do something that, once done, could never be undone."

In 2014, I interviewed Alana and asked her about what inspired her to write the book: "I often told people stories about my past, you know, the wild side to my life: drinking, drugs, playing music in bars, fast cars, fast horses, and confused sex life. Lots of folks said I needed to write my stories down. However, the one thing I never told anyone was that I had a secret. Many of the risky things I did in life were an attempt to keep my secret hidden.

I tried to write my story a number of times but without being able to tell my entire story, it was impossible for me to tell any of my stories. After I finally faced what I’d been running from all my life I came out as transgender. Just a few years after coming out, the factory where I worked closed its doors and I lost my job which gave me lots of free time on my hands. I just sat down and started writing."

Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book