A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , , » Caroline Cossey - Tula: I am a Woman

Caroline Cossey - Tula: I am a Woman

Full title: "Tula: I am a Woman" by Caroline Cossey.

She is one of the most iconic figures in the history of the transgender movement. She is also one of my biggest inspirations. This is her first memoir, published in 1982. Caroline Cossey is a British model who often worked under the name Tula, which she also used for two memoirs. She appeared in the 1981 James Bond film For Your Eyes Only. Following her appearance in the film, she was outed as transgender by the British tabloid News of the World. In 1991, she became the first trans woman to pose for Playboy. Since then she has become one of the biggest advocates of the transgender cause. In 2017 I had the honour of interviewing her for my blog and one of my questions was related to how she was treated by society.

She said: "Being bullied and ridiculed at such a young age is crippling and without such a close and loving family I have no doubt I would’ve taken my own life. It knocks all your self-worth out of you and turns you inwards from the world. I became extremely introverted. To this day I still have triggers that are very upsetting and I suppose I will for as long as I live. I think it’s important to remember we all have this strength inside us. We endure scars but they tell the story of our triumphs, not just the story of our travails." 

"Monika: In 1989, when the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ruled in your favor, it seemed that finally, you ran out of bad luck. You married businessman Elias Fattal, but again, another blow. Again you were outed by the media, and he decided to leave you. - Caroline: I won on both counts at Strasbourg but the British government appealed the decision and won on the appeal. I had met Elias Fattal and we married. On the day that we returned from our honeymoon, it was the front page of News Of The World that I had married multimillionaire Elias Fattal. We had decided not to tell his family about me being transsexual because they had such a hard time coming to terms with the fact I was Christian. We wanted to wait until they got to know me first and planned on telling them when we had to deal with surrogacy. He was summoned home and his brother William took over and I was given my marching orders and the marriage was annulled. Rejection at such a happy time in my life cut me deeply. It would have been easier to deal with if he had died."

Caroline Cossey, born on August 31, 1954, is a British model and actress who often worked under the name Tula. She gained prominence for her appearance in the 1981 James Bond film “For Your Eyes Only” as an extra. However, her life journey was far from ordinary. Caroline was assigned male at birth but identified as female. She underwent a gender transition, which included hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery. Unfortunately, her identity was forcibly revealed by the British tabloid News of the World after her appearance in the Bond film. Despite this, Caroline continued to fight for her rights and became the first trans woman to pose for Playboy in 1991.

Caroline endured intense scrutiny from the public. Her life was dissected, and she faced invasive questions about her transition, personal life, and identity. Despite her talent and beauty, some doors closed for her in the entertainment industry. Many casting directors and producers hesitated to hire her due to prejudice and ignorance. Caroline didn’t back down. She became an advocate for transgender rights, fighting for acceptance and understanding. Her courage inspired others to embrace their true selves. Caroline’s legacy extends beyond her modeling career. She paved the way for future transgender individuals, showing that authenticity and strength can triumph over adversity. In summary, Caroline Cossey faced both adversity and triumph, leaving an indelible mark on the world as a trailblazer for transgender visibility and acceptance.

+ Comments + 1 Comments

January 22, 2023 at 9:31 AM

She is also one of my biggest inspirations as well, it was a big deal for me in early 80's, especially in regards as having someone to relate to.

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book