A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , , , » Chris Johnson & Cathy Brown - The Gender Trap

Chris Johnson & Cathy Brown - The Gender Trap

Full title: "The Gender Trap: The moving autobiography of Chris & Cathy, the first transexual parents" by Chris Johnson and Cathy Brown, with Wendy Nelson

The book presents the story of the first British transgender couple, Christopher Brown, formerly Anne Johnson, and Cathy Browne, formerly Eugene Brown, from Handsworth, Birmingham. Both of them transitioned after their daughter was born.

I found one article about them in the Digital Transgender Archive portal: "Cathy was born Eugene in Belfast. Her parents were travelers, her father in and out of jail. At 14, she was placed in Borstal for constant truanting. At borstal, she had her first experience of homosexuality and rejected it. Throughout her childhood, she felt 'different'. She dressed in women's clothes. She disliked the idea of heterosexual relationships in which she took the male role but neither was she attracted to men."

"She says she is a feminist. 'I am a strong, independent woman. I tend now to be bisexual - not because I was a man before - but because as a woman, I feel more in sympathy with women.' But Cathy just as strongly believes in the maternal instinct, it smarts, she says, that other women say she can never be a 'proper' woman because she lacks the experience of childbirth. She also enjoys 'a bitch and a flirt' and when the male cameraman arrives Cathy vamps and poses: 'I am a poser' - she agrees. 'That's nothing to do with being a man or a woman, I act sexy because that's me'."

Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book