A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , » Christiane Völling - Ich war Mann und Frau

Christiane Völling - Ich war Mann und Frau

Original title: "Ich war Mann und Frau. Mein Leben als Intersexuelle" (I was husband and wife. My Life as an Intersex).

'It is the first case in Germany that becomes known to a broad public. Christiane Völling was both a man and a woman, but she only learned that from her hospital files at the age of 46. Until then, her name was Thomas. What looked like a boy with a small penis to doctors and parents after birth, later turned out to be a girl with an intact uterus and ovaries during an appendectomy. Without her knowledge, her femininity was then operated away.

In addition, the doctors prescribed her testosterone – with devastating physical and mental consequences. In 2007, Christiane Völling sued the doctor who had done this to her. The trial has a signaling effect for more than 100,000 intersexuals in Germany, many of them with comparable fates.

The author tells personally, often relentlessly, of her life, of prejudices, self-doubt and the decision to start again at the age of 50. An overdue critique of a society that denies the existence of a large group of people, and a strong plea to all those affected and their relatives to accept the in-between life and to stand up for it.'

Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book