A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , » Grant Shirley Boughton - Please Call Me Shirley

Grant Shirley Boughton - Please Call Me Shirley

Full title: "Please Call Me Shirley: Paradox - Transformation, Transition & Transfiguration"

"This is my story, a story of self-discovery. It is a story of intense internal struggle and dysfunction marked by often self-inflicted wounds. It is a story of survival against all odds. It is a story filled with travel, adventure, and courage in the face of adversity.

But above all, it is a story about the transforming power of love. I have been a husband, a parent, a grandparent, a soldier, a scientist, a clergyman, and a respected community leader. Trying to come to terms with my gender identity and sexual orientation confusion has significantly impacted my life’s journey and altered my world view.

When I began writing this story in June 2000 most of the things that provided security and structure in my life had collapsed around me. What I considered to be my life goals and objectives had been shattered. I was labeled by the State of Florida as a “sex offender”, and was virtually unemployable."

"I had been effectively cut off from much of the community service work to which I had devoted so much time and energy. My faith community had cast me aside. My life had been turned upside down. I knew from the Christian scriptures that Jesus Christ tells us to “be not afraid”, but I was very afraid. Was there really any hope for my future? How would my future play out? What was God’s plan for me? I felt that I had stepped off a cliff and that I was in free fall with no points of reference.

In January 2013, as a post-operative male-to-female transsexual woman, my perspective, my mental, physical and emotional health has improved dramatically. Our marriage bond of over 36 years is stronger.

I am fully engaged on many levels as an advocate and spiritual guide for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community and for persons living with HIV/AIDS. Through this book, by telling my story, I hope to help younger transgender persons (and those who work with us and love us for whom we are) that there is a way through… that we can and must survive and thrive…that we can serve a needed place in this world.

Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book