A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , » Rachel Eliason - The Agony, The Ecstasy and The Buddha

Rachel Eliason - The Agony, The Ecstasy and The Buddha

Original title: "The Agony, The Ecstasy and The Buddha: One Woman's Month in Thailand having a Sex Change"

In early 2010, Rachel had transitioned to living full time as a woman for two years. She loved her new life and was happier than she had ever been, except for one small thing. And that was correctable. So she packed her bags and went to Bangkok, Thailand for SRS (sexual reassignment surgery).

Part travelogue and part memoir, The Agony, The Ecstasy and the Buddha is a month long journey to Thailand, and an intimate look at what it means to have sexual reassignment surgery in a foreign country.

In 2017, I talked to Rachel about this book and this is what she told me: "I decided to write this book because I thought it might be helpful to other transwomen, especially those looking to go to Thailand for surgery. I did my best to not pull any punches about the experience. Why and how I made the decision to go to Thailand. The prep before the surgery, the highs, and the lows of recovery. The first time I dilated after surgery. Everything. Not every transwoman wants or needs surgery. But for those who do, there aren’t a lot of personal accounts.

I didn’t write it thinking it would be a bestseller. In fact, I held onto the rough draft for over a year because I just couldn’t justify paying for editing and production on something with such a narrow audience. But I hope it helps even one person to try to decide about surgery or planning their surgery, that will be enough."

Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book