A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , , » Janis Wagemans - Mijn vrouw was nooit een meisje

Janis Wagemans - Mijn vrouw was nooit een meisje

Original title: "Mijn vrouw was nooit een meisje: Transgender notities" (My wife was never a girl: Transgender notes) by Janis Wagemans.

Renate Stoute wrote an autobiographical novel in the late nineties about her transition from man to woman. Her partner Janis Wagemans also wrote about that beautiful, but often frustrating road to completion. In search of her (bisexual) identity, she mainly embraces her lesbian coming out, in a period when Renate is still 'locked down'.

"In 1997, I started writing about my love's transition. What that meant to me as a boy girl who had just come out of the closet twenty years earlier. When she became physically more and more 'locked', my gaze and desire opened up more. It offered additional challenges in our almost symbiotic relationship, in which there was no place for real cheating."

"In addition, I had the desire to have children, which was not possible at that time as a partner of a trans person during the real-life trial. Her treatment would have been put on hold if I had stood my ground to become a mother later on through her frozen semen. I wrote 'My wife was never a girl' twenty-five years ago, on the Brother word processor on which Renate had also written her earlier books. She often watched and coached me. After her sudden death, I no longer wanted an edition, partly due to my experiences with reviews of her work."

"About ten years ago I was approached by writer David de Poel, who wanted to write a biography about Renate. David transported my extensive archive back and forth in stages for months to read and view all manuscripts, letters, maps, publications, drawings, and so on. Renate was a transsexual woman, and if she had had time to live, that transition would have slowly faded into the background. Never quite, because she lived without secrets, but less prominently. Renate was a gifted author and a warm personality. She has led a hard but also exciting life. She deserves to be known as a human being, just as anyone who has been given one or more labels is first and foremost human. David's biography is named after Renate's last nine diaries; "Exercises in Bravery," and appears almost simultaneously with "My wife was never a girl.""

Available via Facebook

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book