A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , » Lisa Salazar - Then This Happened: After Transparently

Lisa Salazar - Then This Happened: After Transparently

Full title: "Then This Happened: After Transparently" by Lisa Salazar.

"When I published "Transparently: Behind the Scenes of a Good Life" in 2011, the memoir recounted the first 59 years and six months of my life, leading up to the first month after undergoing gender confirmation surgery (GCS). I wrote the book in the three months preceding the surgery, a time when I was filled with hopeful anticipation.

The title I picked for the book reflected how I saw my life then; I felt disarmingly open and candid about my life's journey, which had been good to me. The subtitle also held much truth — I had lived a good life and acknowledged my many privileges. Nothing I wrote in the preface was fabricated or spun. These were my honest feelings.

This second edition of the book completes the story of my life up to March 30, 2023, exactly 13 years after I underwent GCS. However, my perspective on my life and the world has changed, and I no longer see things through the same rose-colored glasses. I chose to title this new edition "Then This Happened: After Transparently" as it better reflects the unexpected twists and turns my life has taken post-surgery.

Initially, I did not plan to write a sequel to "Transparently." Then, someone suggested writing a second edition with two parts. Part 1 would remain my life pre-surgery, which is what Transparently is all about, and Part 2 would discuss my life post-surgery.

As I completed this second edition of my memoir, I was struck by the stark contrast between the title and tone of the original and that of the sequel. "Transparently" reflected the hope and anticipation I felt leading up to my gender confirmation surgery, and "Then This Happened:" captured the tumultuous reality that followed. The new title speaks to the unexpected twists and turns my life has taken since that momentous event, but it also hints at the resilience and determination I have found in the face of adversity.

I cannot ignore the fact that the world has become more dangerous and hostile for trans people. As I write these words, the rights of trans individuals are under attack across the United States, and to a lesser extent, in parts of Canada. The rise of antagonism from conservative, right-wing politicians and religious organizations has led to a concerted effort to erase and marginalize our community.

Despite these challenges, I remain hopeful. The growing support and visibility of trans people in mainstream society hearten me. I am inspired by the resilience and courage of those who continue to fight for their rights and dignity. As I bring this second edition of my memoir to a close, I am reminded of the power of storytelling. By sharing our stories, we can break down the barriers that divide us and create a more compassionate and just world. I hope my story can serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement for others, and it can help pave the way for a more inclusive and accepting future."

In 2013, I interviewed Lisa and asked her about her transition experiences: "I was fifty-eight years old when I transitioned. That was almost five years ago; it was in the Summer of 2008. By that time, I had already lost about 15 kilos and undergone 200 hours of electrolysis to remove my beard. I wanted to attract as little attention to myself as possible and it was important to me to present as authentically as possible for my age group. Being a very visual person, I studied women my age whom I found attractively dressed and took mental notes of what they wore to work, to go shopping, etc.

In this regard, I did not go through delayed adolescence, I never purchased or wore a mini-skirt nor tried to look like a teenager. In my opinion, there is nothing more pathetic than a sixty-year-old woman trying to look half her age ... so imagine how sad it is to see a trans person trying to pull it off. Even though I lined up my ducks the best I could, I was terrified about the prospect of going out in public as a female. Unlike some trans persons I have met, I never went out in public cross-dressed."

Available via Amazon
Photos via Instagram and The Heroines of My Life

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book