A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , » Jan Morris - Conundrum

Jan Morris - Conundrum

Full title: "Conundrum" by Jan Morris.

I found this nice intro on Goodreads: "The great travel writer Jan Morris was born James Morris. James Morris distinguished himself in the British military, became a successful and physically daring reporter, climbed mountains, crossed deserts, and established a reputation as a historian of the British Empire. He was happily married, with several children. To all appearances, he was not only a man, but a man’s man."

And here is an excerpt from a fantastic review from Transascity: "Conundrum is an autobiography, a tale about the life and transsexual journey of Jan Morris, noted British journalist and author. Born Humphrey Morris, Jan led an idyllic if somewhat lonely childhood, feeling since age 3 or 4 that she was born into the wrong body.

"A Xhosa wise woman tells her she will someday be female, and years later she tells of her transition, re-starting and staying on hormones in 1964. The change due to hormones is slow but wonderful, rejuvenating and gives her a new life and energy. Exactly as I went through when I started (and I still feel like I’m 14 most days!) She describes in detail all of the physical, mental, and emotional changes which slowly occurred, and I found myself nodding and checking off my own list alongside her. As well as the changes in reaction of people around her, especially strangers, as she becomes more feminine."

"Then comes her SRS in 1972. Morris tries to have surgery in England but finds the closed-minded doctors in England insist she get divorced before they will approve the surgery. It’s a stunning piece of insensitivity, which she and her wife (wisely) refuse to play along with, so Morris travels to Casablanca instead. She writes in great detail about the experience, something which is nice – many transwomen really do not like to write about their experience in their biographies (and those who do, like Aleshia Brevard and Canary Conn, have horrifying experiences which make you want to curl up under a blanket and rock in place)."

The book has been published many times since 1974. The English language editions were published in 1974, 1975, 1978, 1987, 1997, 2006, and 2011.


Available via Transascity
and Amazon
Photo via Transascity

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book