A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , , » Kate Bornstein - Spolni izobčenci: o moških, ženskah in nas ostalih

Kate Bornstein - Spolni izobčenci: o moških, ženskah in nas ostalih

"Spolni izobčenci: o moških, ženskah in nas ostalih" is the Slovenian language edition of "Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women, and the Rest of Us" by Kate Bornstein.

"Gender Outlaw is the work of a woman who has been through some changes--a former heterosexual male, a one-time Scientologist, and IBM salesperson, now a lesbian woman writer and actress who makes regular rounds on the TV (so to speak) talk shows. In her book, Bornstein covers the "mechanics" of her surgery, everything you've always wanted to know about gender (but were too confused to ask) addresses the place and politics of the transgendered and interrogates the questions of those who give the subject little thought, creating questions of her own."

In 2017, Kate agreed to have an interview with me, and this is what she shared with me: "I was trying to live my life as a boy and as a man. I was always conscious of the fact that doing “boy” and “man” never felt natural to me. I had to watch boys and men to see how they did it. I practiced. Sometimes in the mirror. And gradually, I could perform “boy” and “man” easily and without much thought. But inside, there were always doubts.

Fast forward to six months after my SRS, I was conscious, every day, of the fact that doing “girl” and “woman” does not feel natural. I was watching girls and women to see how they did it. I practiced. Sometimes in the mirror. I wasn’t expressing myself. I was expressing myself - mind, body, and soul - as the boy, man, girl, woman that the culture expected me to be. I finally threw up my hands in despair and went into a deep depression. I guess I wasn’t a woman after all."

According to Wikipedia, Katherine Vandam Bornstein (born in 1948) is an American author, playwright, performance artist, actor, and gender theorist. In the 1980s, Bornstein started identifying herself as gender non-conforming and has stated "I don't call myself a woman, and I know I'm not a man" after having been assigned male at birth and undergoing mtf bottom surgery in 1986. 

Bornstein never felt comfortable with the belief of the day that all trans women are "women trapped in men's bodies." They did not identify as a man, but the only other option was to be a woman, a reflection of the gender binary, which required people to identify according to only two available genders. Another obstacle was the fact that Bornstein was attracted to women. Bornstein now identifies as non-binary and uses the pronouns they/them and she/her.

Available via goodreads.com

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book