A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , » Nora Eckert - Flores particulares

Nora Eckert - Flores particulares

"Flores particulares" (Private flowers) 
is the Spanish language edition of “Wie alle, nur anders. Ein transsexuelles Leben in Berlin” (Like everyone, just different. A transsexual life in Berlin) by Nora Eckert.

Nora Eckert arrived in Berlin on Christmas 1973. The city, still bearing the scars of war, had become a symbol of freedom. Shortly afterwards she began working as a wardrobe at the Chez Romy Haag, a beacon of fun and sequins where artists such as David Bowie, Tina Turner or Grace Jones met at night. Immersed in that splendor, she began her gender transition to leave behind the frustration that had always accompanied her.

I talked to Nora in 2021 and this is what she told me about all those years: "I was not born in Berlin, but have lived here for 48 years. For me, this city was love at first sight, although back in 1973 Berlin was still divided and looked very different than it does today. I was 22 when I finally discovered my female identity, and although the '70s were still almost right-wing and therapy-free times for us trans people, I was able to walk my way into womanhood completely unmolested. In this city, there has always been a laissez-faire attitude that has made life pretty easy for me and my friends. I started my transition in the famous travesty café "Chez Romy Haag" and at the same time, I found myself in the middle of the small but fine trans* community of West Berlin. That was just a great atmosphere. But at some point, it was clear that I had to get out of the nightlife again. I did that in 1984. I found an office job and at the same time, I started my journalistic "career"."

Nora Eckert is a fascinating individual with a multifaceted life journey. Born on March 14, 1954, in Nuremberg, Nora Eckert is a well-known German cultural journalist and theater and opera critic. She is the author of many books and articles about German cultural events. Nora arrived in Berlin in 1973 and began working at Chez Romy Haag, which was Europe’s most famous transvestite night club at the time. Over the years, she transitioned from one gender to the other while observing, studying, and commenting on her life and the city around her.

As a trans woman in the seventies, Nora faced societal challenges. Respectable professions were denied to transgender individuals, leaving nightlife as the only option. She emphasizes that being transgender is not just about putting on a dress and adopting a new name; the complexities go much deeper. Nora found practical tips and support within the little trans community at Chez Romy Haag, which she affectionately called her “Factory.” Nora worked at the legendary club, handling the door and the guest cloakroom. She adorned herself with glitter, high heels, and makeup, embracing a retrograde image of women. The attention-seeking, emphatically feminine look played into constrained roles that awakened desire and awareness. Nora Eckert’s journey reflects resilience, transformation, and a unique perspective on life in Berlin during a transformative era.

Available via libreriaberkana.com

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book