A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , » Charlotte McLeod - I Changed My Sex

Charlotte McLeod - I Changed My Sex

Full title: "I Changed My Sex" by Charlotte McLeod.

The story of Charlotte McLeod was first covered in the 1955 Danish book "Da Karl blev Karla: En dansk læges bedrift" (When Karl Became Karla: A Danish Doctor's Achievement) by Bent Rosenwein.

I found a fantastic article about her on Transas City: "Charlotte McLeod was the second transsexual American woman of the modern era, having had her sexual reassignment surgery (SRS) in Denmark in 1953, the year after Christine Jorgensen did. When Charlotte arrived in Denmark she discovered that the furor over Christine’s surgery had led to a moratorium on new SRS procedures, unless the process of conversion had already started.

Charlotte, near-suicidal with gender dysphoria and not to be deterred, found a discredited doctor who performed a botched SRS on his kitchen table. After nearly bleeding to death over the next two weeks, Charlotte was finally admitted into the Danish program and was given her surgeries."

Available via transascity.org

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book