A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , » Valérie Lempereur - Mevrouw: autobiografische roman

Valérie Lempereur - Mevrouw: autobiografische roman

Original title: "Mevrouw: autobiografische roman" (Madam: Autobiographical Novel)

She lived and wrote with courage and perseverance, but also with fear. Because she grew up in a time when there was no room for women like her. Because she could be 'exposed'. And she was, over and over again. It was Valérie against the world.

"Madam"  is published because Valérie is no longer afraid. To show how we dealt with people who do not fit into specific boxes. It's time for her story.

And so it happened that at the age of eighteen, eleven years after child protection placed me under supervision and my parents pledged to take good care of me, I was practically illiterate, without any education, convinced that I was in the wrong body locked up, with a train ticket, seven guilders fifty and a garbage bag of worn-out clothes, returned penniless to the place where I had been taken from when I was seven, under supervision of me, locked up in the wrong body.

Valérie Lempereur was born in 1962 in Sluis, a town located in the west of Zeelandic Flanders, in the south-western Dutch province of Zeeland. She is a writer, columnist, and journalist. She was born Daniël and came from a family of seven children.

Because of her gender dysphoria, she was the only one in the family to spend a large part of her childhood in various children's homes. At the age of seventeen she became addicted to hard drugs and after a conviction by the court to a disciplinary school sentence, ended up in a youth prison. From there she eventually went into rehab and after several attempts, she managed to kick off her heroin and cocaine addiction. In October 1993, after more than three years of treatment at the gender clinic of the VU in Amsterdam, she underwent gender reassignment surgery.

Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book