A random collection of over 1910 books and audiobooks authored by or about my transgender, intersex sisters, and gender-nonconforming persons all over the world. I read some of them, and I was inspired by some of them. I met some of the authors and heroines, some of them are my best friends, and I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing some of them. If you know of any transgender biography that I have not covered yet, please let me know.

Search for a book

Home » , , , , » Carlotta - He Did It Her Way: Carlotta, Legend of Les Girls

Carlotta - He Did It Her Way: Carlotta, Legend of Les Girls

"He Did It Her Way: Carlotta, Legend of Les Girls" by Carlotta and James Cockington is the first biography of Carlotta. The second biography "Carlotta: I'm Not That Kind of Girl" was published in 2003.

"For 26 years from 1963, Carlotta was the undisputed Queen of Kings Cross - the legend of Les Girls, a landmark theatre restaurant where all the women on stage were really drag queens. This is a fascinating and often hilarious journey into her world as a performer and transexual who started life as a Balmain boy and went on to have one of the first sex change operations in Australia."

According to Wikipedia, Carlotta, born Carol Byron in 1943, is a transgender Australian cabaret performer and television personality, known for being an original cast member of the long-running Sydney-based male revue Les Girls cabaret show.

She appeared in the television series Number 96 in 1974 as Miss Robyn Ross, in a comedic storyline as the girlfriend of Arnold Feather (Jeff Kevin), probably being the first transgender actress to have played a transgender TV character anywhere in the world,. In 2021, she announced that she is retiring from the industry. She had gender reassignment surgery in 1971 which, though not the first such procedure in Australia, was the first to receive major publicity. She authored two biographies: "He Did it her Way: Carlotta, Legend of Les Girls" (1994) and "Carlotta: I'm not that kind of girl" (2003).


Available via Amazon

Post a Comment


Click at the image to visit My Blog

Search for a book